What is your Personal Brand? By Ricardo E. Smith
Your personal brand must be an authentic reflection of your values, character and capabilities. There is little value in creating an impressive Social Media Profile if your workplace conduct tells a different story. If you say you are dependable, be dependable; if you call yourself a leader, demonstrate leadership; if you value excellence, let the quality of your work provide the evidence.
Professional development is therefore not optional—it is essential. Getting the job is only the beginning, and staying relevant requires continuous learning, adaptability and growth, especially as technology and artificial intelligence continue to reshape the workplace. Ask yourself regularly: What have I learned recently? What new skill have I developed? What problems can I now solve that I could not solve before? For those entering the workforce, do not rush to become employed at the expense of becoming employable; develop transferable skills such as communication, teamwork, problem-solving, digital literacy, emotional intelligence, professionalism and adaptability.
Your career should not simply happen by accident. Learn, evolve, volunteer, seek mentorship, pursue training, embrace technology, build meaningful professional relationships and become known for something positive and valuable. Before pursuing the next opportunity, ask: Who do I want to become? What do I want to be known for? What value do I want to bring? Instead of trying to figure out who you are when the opportunity arrives, start preparing now to become the professional you want the world to recognise. So, I ask again: What do you want your brand to be?
Ricardo E. Smith, JP
Senior Educator & Social Scientist

Comments
Post a Comment